From the NME Guide to Rock & Roll London (early 1978), a guide to the Gay Scene starts with a warning: 'a note to all you guys 'n' gals, cuties 'n' chickens, rent boys 'n' muscle men, leather lovers 'n' sock eaters: REMEMBER British Law permits homosexual activity in PRIVATE between two consenting adults of 21 and over. Any sexual contact in public is forbidden'. Places mentioned include:
- Bang Disco, The Sundown, 157 Charing Cross Road 'a good mixture of gays and punks';
- Gateways, 239 Kings Road, SW3 'Women only'
- Louise, 61 Poland Street, W1
- El Sombrero, 142-144 Kensington High Street, W8
- A & B Club, 27 Wardour Street, W1
- Escort, 89a Pimilico Road, SW1.
- Maunkberry's, 57 Jermyn Street,W1
- Mandy's, 30 Henrietta Atreet, W1
- Napoleon's, 2 Lancashire Court, New Bond Street, W1
- Oscars, 4 Greek Street, W1
- Festival Club, 2 Brydges Place (off St Martin's Lane), WC2
NME Guide to Rock & Roll London 1978: Disco
NME Guide to Rock & Roll London: Reggae